SRCF: Service Definition
The SRCF should establish a formal definition of what it actually regards as constituting its Facility.
Currently it is only possible to work out what the Facility is a posteriori. Effectively, the Facility is whatever the Society happens to provide. There is no formal way of asserting whether the Facility is working "properly".
A formal definition of the Facility would help with
- verifying that everything is still working after an upgrade, reboot, etc
- planning resource allocation
- explaining to users what the Society can provide
- documenting what's available
- defining what is "supported" by the sysadmins and support group
- designing and implementing infrastructural systems and procedures (e.g., a web-based management system for users and sysadmins)
- training new sysadmins
- identifying where the Society is failing to provide something it should
- identifying where the Society is providing something it shouldn't
- clarifying the status wrt to the Facility of reachoxbridge, people.ucam.org, and srcf.net